It’s super easy to run a campus program with little to no waste. Zero-waste is a way of life that promotes the minimization of waste through the maximization of recycling and reuse of products. The zero-waste philosophy seeks to look at the flow of resources holistically and ultimately seeks to minimize consumption.
Organizing a zero-waste event involves considering the following action areas: Waste, Transportation, Catering, & Decoration.
Sustainability Interns are ready and available to act as Zero-Waste consultants for events of any and all sizes.
In the last 4 years we’ve made Founder’s Day, ViCE Concerts, House Team Trainings, House events, and Department events all more waste conscious.
Here are some the key points to look into:
- offer a pitcher of water & cups instead of plastic bottled water
- reserve a compost bin through the standard event reservation form
- provide compostable plates, napkins and utensils instead of plastic
- only order as much as you need
- compostables can be conveniently ordered through campus dining
- consider making a catered meal entirely vegetarian or vegan; its more inclusive and great for the environment